LLVM accepted to 2018 Google Summer of Code!We are excited to announce the LLVM project has been accepted to 2018 Google Summer of Code!
What is Google Summer of Code?
Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is a global program focused on introducing students to open source software development. Students work on a 3 month programming project with an open source organization during their break from university. There are several benefits to this program for both the students and LLVM:
- Inspire students to get involved with open source, compilers and LLVM
- Give students exposure to real-world software development while getting paid a stipend
- Allow students to do paid work related to their academic pursuits versus getting an unrelated summer job
- Bring new developers into the LLVM project
- Some LLVM bugs get fixed or new features get added
Students - Apply now!
Ok, so you can't apply right now as the official application to GSoC does not open until March 12, 2018, but you must begin discussing your project on the LLVM mailing lists well before that date. There are many open projects listed on our webpage. Once you have selected a project, you will discuss it on the appropriate mailing list.
If you have an idea for a project that is not listed, you can always propose it on the list as well and seek out a mentor.
Key Dates to Remember
We have listed a few key dates here, but always consult the official GSoC timeline to confirm.
- March 12 (16:00 UTC) - Applications open
- March 27 (16:00 UTC) - Deadline to file your application
- April 23 (16:00 UTC) - Accepted student proposals are announced
- May 14 - Coding begins
LLVM Developers - Consider being mentor!
This program is not a success without our mentors. Thank you to all that have all who have already volunteered! If you have never mentored a GSoC project but are curious, it is not too late to volunteer! You can either select an open project without a mentor or propose your own. Make sure to get it listed on the webpage so that students can see it as an option.
If mentoring just isn't an option for you at this time, consider helping the project out my spreading the word about GSoC.
If you have questions about the program for the organizers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Project specific questions should be sent to the appropriate developer mailing list instead.